Company Bass Fishing Pro Staff Team Bass Fishing Message Boards Bass Fishing Videos Bass Fishing Clubs Bass Fishing Resources Bass Fishing Tournaments Bass Fishing Articles Bass Fishing Tips BASSIN' USA - Fishing For Bass
BASSIN' USA.com
Follow Us

facebook-icon twitter-icon blogger_icon youtube_icon

September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member's Photo Galleries
Jig Bass 4.2
Lake Hopatcong - Lunker Nearly 7 Lbs
4.2 lb this pass weekend
Some Fat Prespawn Bass
Some 4 lb + Smallies Caught in Winter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#10691 - 01-27-2008 06:20 PM Best Place to Retire for Bass Fishing?
geobass Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Now guys I don't wanta be turning my cards or offering AARP memberships to anyone... I'm not in the mindset for that just yet.

I won't be dying my hair black anytime soon and pulling a Wayne Newton on "Dancing With the Shoreliners".

But I will be turning 57 years old... errrr excuse me young as I like to think of it in March.

I have been thinking that God willing I live so long and are healthy enough, I would like to spend a good part of my time fishing when I do retire, if possible.

I have been looking around (and mofish may not be surprised by this) at Texas as a possible place to go.

I was checking out the area around Travis and Buchanan but the realestate in that area is pretty pricey as far as I can see.
I also read about some good bass fishing lakes in the Arlington, TX area.

I used to live in South Florida but I wasn't into bass fishing then. Not sure if I would want to return there but I have to admit I did like the weather in Miami.

Well anyways, there are some things I don't like about bass fishing from the shoreline in California.

Crowds, mountain lions, rattle snakes, coyotees, bears, and mosquitos to name a few (not necessarily in that order). I don't think I would want to add gators to the list.

The master plan is to sell my rediculously over priced house in Los Angeles and get a small two bedroom condo somewhere near a good bass fishing lake or area. Something I could pretty much pay for in full.

Something nice in the $175,000 range.

I was considering placing this question in the Prostaff section but figured it would be best to just open it up and put all sheets to the wind.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

Good fishing to you guys, later......... geobass

#10692 - 01-28-2008 01:04 AM Re: Best Place to Retire for Bass Fishing? [Re: geobass]
johnnie crain Offline

Loc: Muscatine, IA
Hey, how about Lake Livingston or Lake Fork. If your fishing you may as well try for a new record bass. The southern Cali lakes would be the best for that though. Eufala in Alabama might be a great spot too. Lots of big ole bass.
I hope this isn't too personal, but why don't you have a boat? Boats make fishing so much easier and fun. Just asking. Johnnie

#10693 - 01-28-2008 01:42 AM Re: Best Place to Retire for Bass Fishing? [Re: johnnie crain]
mofish Offline

Loc: Granbury, TX
I tell you what you come out here sometime and I show you around! There are plenty of places to retire here in Texas and good bass fishing in just about all the lakes.

Fork, Rayburn, Amistad, Falcon, Travis, and Whitney, Texoma for smallmouth & Largemouth. Just tons of places and lots of water both big and small. Lake Meridian will probably be the next lake with some huge fish in it that is small enough to walk around. Jonnie's right you need a boat to get around the large lakes.

#10697 - 01-28-2008 02:00 PM Re: Best Place to Retire for Bass Fishing? [Re: mofish]
Brendan Offline

Bassin' USA Founder

Loc: Suffolk County, NY
I'm not from the area, but I have been reading about the boom over at Lake Amistad... there is no question about the fishing, but even the real estate prices (with the boom) seem reasonable. Check out this article:

http://www.swtexaslive.com/march2007/amistad

Keep in mind the numbers they are quoting are for 3,000-4,000 square foot homes with MONSTER garages for full bass boat rigs. You could probably get in something really nice in the range you were looking at.

#10701 - 01-28-2008 11:43 PM Re: Best Place to Retire for Bass Fishing? [Re: Brendan]
geobass Offline

Thanks for all the feedback on my retirement dreams. Wow!! Brendan those look like palacial estates compared to where I live now... hmmmm.

I was really thinking of a nice little two bedroom condo where I wouldn't have to hassel much with maintenance and all. But it is interesting.

Johnnie... about me not having a boat. That is a good question, fact is I have asked my wife the same question many times. Why can't I get a boat?

Ahhh..... she quickly reminds me how expensive it is to pay for that rediculously overpriced house we have plus send our kids to private schools. But hopefully when I do retire I'l be able to swing a boat or at least make some friends who have boats and go double dutch or something.

Mofish one of these days when I get down to your country I'd like to meet you ofcourse!! Not planing on doing anything soon but I am dreaming about it.

Oh and Johnnie... I did blow a chance to get a really nice 14 ft. aluminum Crestliner from a buddy of mine that was willing to sell it to me for $1,200. With trailer, 9 hp outboard, trolling motor and fishfinder. He was buying a nicer rig, nothing wrong with the boat.

Just couldn't make it happen without setting off some major fireworks with the wifey!!

But it just wasn't able to make it into the family budget and it would be a major project for me to get it into the garage. I would not want to store a boat outside where I live.

Anyway... someday, someday.. I'm gonna live near a great bassfishing lake, have a boat and also be in a place where I can relax bigtime. Living in L.A. is kinda getting on my nerves after seventeen years!!! The congestion and the traffic and all.

Good fishing to you guys, later.......... geobass

#10702 - 01-29-2008 09:37 AM Re: Best Place to Retire for Bass Fishing? [Re: geobass]
Roboworm99 Offline

Loc: CA
LA isnt that bad geo \:\)

I hear ya on the boat though...keep telling my wife the same thing...but she agrees she wants one too...i am hoping next year, getting a simple rig and of course your welcome aboard.

I would love nothing better to have a house on the lake with my own dock...but if not that a house or condo with lake privelages like Lake Mission Viejo, or Westlake..

#10704 - 01-29-2008 11:16 AM Re: Best Place to Retire for Bass Fishing? [Re: geobass]
Brendan Offline

Bassin' USA Founder

Originally Posted By: geobass
Thanks for all the feedback on my retirement dreams. Wow!! Brendan those look like palacial estates compared to where I live now... hmmmm.

I was really thinking of a nice little two bedroom condo where I wouldn't have to hassel much with maintenance and all. But it is interesting.

Hi Geo,

I guess the point I was trying to make was that if a houses like those were starting at $200K, you could probably find a small 2 bedroom house or condo for really cheap! I'm only 35 and I just bought a 3 bedroom townhouse/condo with a water view of the Long Island sound. It is going to be nice not to worry about maintenance anymore. My wife and I were supposed to be moving into a new house, but the builder ran out of money and god knows what else... long story short we had already sold our home and needed to find something quick. With the real estate market so bad, it was tuff to find something. Most people donít want to accept the fact that their home is not worth what it was last year and the year before. The other problem is that they owe the bank more money than the house is worth.

The townhouse/condo we picked up was from a retired woman who didn't have a mortgage and bought back when they were first built before the real estate boom. Even though we got a really great deal, she made out very nicelyÖ VERY NICELY!

BC

#10705 - 01-29-2008 11:26 AM Re: Best Place to Retire for Bass Fishing? [Re: Brendan]
Brendan Offline

Bassin' USA Founder

Since we are all trying to think of places for Geo, does anyone want to share their "dream house" or "retirement house"?

For me, my dream is to own a home on Candlewood Lake in Connecticut. My whole family (for the most part) lives on Long Island, so Candlewood offers me the best of both worlds, Lake Front on one of the nationís best fisheries and close proximity to my family. It is only about a 2 hour drive for most from Long Island and if you take the ferry across the Long Island sound, the lake is about 30 minutes from Bridgeport, CT.

Interested to hear where you guys would want to be, if you had your choice of any place to go?

BC

#10707 - 01-29-2008 09:56 PM Re: Best Place to Retire for Bass Fishing? [Re: Brendan]
mofish Offline

May sound dumb but I dont really want a house! I want one of them fancy buses that you see all fixed up and a long trailer to pull the truck and bass boat inside it. That way all I have to do is go park it somewere that the fishing is good!!!

You said dream so there you go. Of course I would be fishing the Bassmaster Elite, and FLW trails! If your gonna dream DREAM BIG!

#10709 - 01-29-2008 11:56 PM Re: Best Place to Retire for Bass Fishing? [Re: mofish]
geobass Offline

Well guys, after Brendan showed me some of them huge houses I've been thinking it might be easier for me to sell the wife on doing a fishing retirement spot with me if I buy her a castle!!

Oh, and besides all that, I might even have enough left over for the boat.

Mofish... you really are gonna do something like that one of these day. Ya know... hit it up big on the trail, man that would be something to see.

And after what Roboworm said about the traffic not being so bad in L.A. (it sets me to figuring he never lived anywheres else) maybe I should give some though to selling my money pit here in L.A. and pulling up stakes move on up 20 miles to a condo in Castaic.

Like within walking distance of Castaic Lagoon. That would be cool, give that some thought. Live within walking distance of one of the best trophy bass lakes in the country!!

Shoot if I could fish Castaic Lagoon five days a week, even from the shoreline I'd be a happy 'ole soul since I know I do love the place already.

This thread is giving me a lot to think about1

Thanks for all the dream therapy and ideas.

And I really do wish I could have swung the money to buy Basstaic's Crestliner... someday, someday I'm gonna do it.

Good fishing to ya, later......... geobass

#10712 - 01-30-2008 11:19 AM Re: Best Place to Retire for Bass Fishing? [Re: geobass]
Brendan Offline

Bassin' USA Founder

Conley,

Hey, that does sound great and you are right, I did say "dream"... that is what it would be for me, because if I told my wife I was moving the family into a one of those tricked out 18 wheelers, she'd certainly tell me that "I must be dreaming"!

Geo,

It's funny how much there is to consider, right? You are living where you are for a reason and something that close to the place that you already call home sounds like an easy adjustment. When I was thinking about where I'd want to be the one thought that crossed my mind was "there are so many places that I haven't been yet"... who knows, I may visit out west someday and never want to come back. For now, I'm leaving all options open, but Candlewood is my top choice (for the moment).

BC

#10724 - 02-03-2008 07:19 AM Re: Best Place to Retire for Bass Fishing? [Re: Brendan]
mofish Offline

OH I WISh! No my dream home will be right here in Granbury on the lake somewhere I'm sure. Right now I would settle for a 3/4 truck with a slide in Lance Camper to travel to my fishing spots. I just like camping to much to give it up. If you can call staying in a slide in camper, camping?!!!

Staying in campgrounds and meeting folks there is just to much fun to give up.

#10735 - 02-04-2008 11:13 AM Re: Best Place to Retire for Bass Fishing? [Re: mofish]
Brendan Offline

Bassin' USA Founder

That's my kind of camping too... Never been fond of sleeping in a tent with a sleeping bag... my back hurts just thinking about that. Indoor plumbing or RV-plumbing is a must for me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bassin' USA, bassinwg6, Brendan, Nunz, ukey28 
Newest Members
FishingGuideJohn, FishingGuide, FishermanJune25, jpepe, Dave Stewart
1937 Registered Users
New Topics
Dog days not at night
by Brendan
Yesterday at 08:24 PM
Featured Ads
Featured Ads 2